0 Comments Published on December 12th, 2014 by Thomas Allen
Senior Software Developer / Director of Development
AgileLaw is a legal technology startup founded 3 years ago in Austin, Texas. We spent a year and half developing our minimum viable product (MVP) and since our launch in April 2013, have spent most of our energy on sales and marketing. At this point, we’re getting solid traffic and leads from our website, have a stellar sales team, and a product version that is “out of beta.” Our vision is to improve the way litigation attorneys prepare for trial (yes, that’s about as “niche” as you can get) and our paperless deposition product is the beginning of that vision.
Why we need you
We’re looking to grow our development team in order to sustain our competitive advantage by ensuring that our paperless deposition product remains the best in the marketplace. Our product is currently being used by attorneys across the U.S., but we’ve got a backlog of improvements that will keep a small team busy for at least 18 months. We’ve also got several other product ideas, so we’re not just looking for someone who will maintain existing code. We’re looking for someone who wants to grow with the company and your responsibilities will be reflective of that.
You are an experienced developer who doesn’t mind rolling up your sleeves and writing code. Maybe you’re managing a team now but want to learn something new, try your hand working at a small startup (without the downside of forgoing salary and benefits), or simply want a change of scenery. You’re a self-starter (so you despise being micromanaged) and enjoy planning out your own time to complete a set of user stories within a short sprint. You take pride in your work and love to see features you developed being used by customers. You are familiar with agile methodologies, test-driven development, and Linux (your skill set doesn’t matter as much as your desire to learn, but let’s be honest, if you’re solely a Windows developer, you will probably have a hard time transitioning to a Linux-only shop). Finally, you have startup experience (or can articulate how your past experience will translate into success in a startup environment).
Why we think you’ll want to work here
If you’re considering working at a startup in Austin, you’ll see most or all of the same perks that we offer: cutting edge technology, flexible work arrangements, unlimited vacation policy, fridge stocked with beer, ping pong table, MAME arcade, no dress code, and competitive compensation / equity. What we offer that other startups may not offer:
- Autonomy. You will be given as much responsibility as you want and can handle. While we have an existing technology stack, we’re open to suggestions for improvement
- Opportunity. Do you want to be Director of Development? CTO? You will have that opportunity here (if you want it)
- North Austin location. If you live in North / Northwest Austin, you will love that you don’t have to commute downtown (and if you don’t, we’re happy to accommodate your schedule so you’re not sitting on Mopac for 2 hours each day)
Skills that will come in handy if we hire you
We don’t expect you to have all or most of these skills, but we suspect you may want to know what our existing technology stack is before applying. So here it is:
- LAMP stack (Ubuntu, Nginx / NodeJS, Postgresql, and PHP)
- Yii framework
- Cordova / Phonegap tablet development
- PDF conversion (we use a third party library to convert PDFs to XPS, so while you don’t really need to know anything about the PDF specification, there will be some work with PDFs using that library)
- Selenium automated testing
- Amazon EC2
- Agile methodologies
If you’ve gotten this far, apply using the form on the right. We can’t wait to hear from you!